Monday 18 August 2008

Happens Today.



Today I've enjoyed Everything That Happens Will Happen Today, the new collaborative effort by pop pioneers David Byrne and Brian Eno. While my anticipation for this has been heightened by my love of their 1981 collaboration, My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts, this new project is far removed from that seething rattle of sample-based new-wave.

Everything That Happens... is a lush, expansive pop album by two talents undimmed by their years in the business. The romance of the project, two old friends releasing an album apparently for the joy of it, sweetens it. This isn't the groundbreaking, genre-busting work generally associated with Byrne and Eno, but it is a fine collection of pop songs executed with particular style and elegance. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Everyone seems to be raving about I Feel My Stuff, which is ace, but the song that's made the biggest impact on me is Everything That Happens. So, why don't you listen to that, and then go and stream the whole album off the website, and then maybe buy the thing.

No comments: